Thursday 14 March 2013

Welcome to 'Racing Clean'

Oops... Losing it slightly in a League Race in SimBin's GT Legends at the Nurburgring
Oops... Losing it slightly in a League Race in SimBin's GT Legends at the Nürburgring
Welcome to my new site - Racing Clean.

OK, I know there is not much to look at yet, but I was so excited about the idea of this site that I just had to get started...

Since this is the first post, you will notice that the site is currently in an unfinished state... For now the site will be an organic and evolving 'thing' as I update the design, layout and style over the coming weeks or even months.  In truth I just wanted to get this site live as soon as possible as I have some things I want to share with you sooner rather than later - hence the unfinished look of the site so far.

Who is the 'Racing Clean' site for?

Anyone with an interest in sim racing, racing games and motor racing in general is welcome here, and will hopefully find something of interest to them.

What is the 'Racing Clean' site?

In truth, I don't fully know what this site will become myself yet, but I have some great ideas that I hope to find the time to put into action.

Stunt Car Racer (1989) Microprose Formula One Grand Prix (Video Game, 1992)

In short, the site is about my love of sim racing - a love that I no doubt share with anyone who has read this far already.  Over the coming weeks or posts, I'll introduce myself with a brief history of my sim racing career - an experience which goes all the way back to the late 1980's with Geoff Crammond's Stunt Car Racer on the Commodore 64 and Microprose Formula One Grand Prix on the Amiga 500 in 1992 which is single-handedly responsible for getting me hooked on both F1 and Motor Sport in general.

I can also happily say that my first career in sim racing holds some of my best memories in video games which includes competing in league races with real life F1 driver Takuma Sato (now in Indycar) and beating him :)

One of my best wins at the Texas Motor Speedway in a League Race
One of my best wins at the Texas Motor Speedway in a League Race

But the real reason for the creation of this site is to document my imminent return to the sim racing world.  I have been relatively dormant in the hardcore sim racing world for the best part of the last decade, but I recently dusted off my old PC wheel and began turning some laps again in a variety of racing sims.

This combined with the fact that an old sim racing buddy from back in the day just spent a small fortune on a new PC, Fanatec Wheel & Peddles and a 3 screen set-up and then signed up to iRacing has triggered that itch in my brain to get back on the track.

So I've mostly been trying out RaceRoom Racing Experience and going back to a bit of Race 07 for the time being, but I was also lucky enough to bag a voucher to try out iRacing myself.  I hope to cash this voucher in at the end of the month and try out their service at the rookie levels.  And that's where this new Racing Clean site comes in...

Since I'll basically be going back to basics at the rookie level, I figured this could be a good opportunity to keep some sort of record of my experiences, not just in iRacing but any kind of sim racing.

My Spider-Man pitcrew get to work on my Spider-Man Painted NASCAR from a NASCAR Racing 2002 League Race
My Spider-Man pitcrew get to work on my Spider-Man Painted NASCAR from a NASCAR Racing 2002 League Race

It could prove to be an interesting read for both future rookies looking to get into sim racing and experienced drivers who have been competing at the top levels of iRacing for years, but have maybe forgotten what it was like to enter this world with the fresh eyes of a rookie.  Perhaps they've forgotten about all the mistakes they made on their way up or the mistakes of other drivers that they were the victims of at the lower levels.

If nothing else I hope that my coming experiences in sim racing can prove to be an entertaining read for sim racing fans of any level.

In addition, if I am able to bring any news or insights to the world of sim racing, then rest assured, I will do my best as well as hopefully sparking up some interesting conversations or debates in the community.

During my first career in sim racing, I may not have always been the fastest driver on the track, but I would like to think that I was possibly the cleanest - a gentleman racer even...  I am all about racing clean, and racing fair.  I hope I can stay true that that belief in my second career.

Feel free to leave your comments, support, tips or advice in the comments below.

I look forward to seeing you on the track.

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment